Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Facebook +1

OK. I can’t even believe I’m about to say this: I’m on Facebook.

My close friends (and even loyal blog readers) will know what a surprising development this is. I’m terrible at returning e-mails. Never forward those e-mail quizzes. I considered Match.com for about a half a second before deciding it was way too public in Small Milwaukee.

I’ve spent years ignoring invitations to join dear friends’ Linked In networks.

Ages complaining about how young MySpace seems.

So why, then, did I decide to join Facebook all of a sudden?

Well, for one, my new job made me.

It’s become such a natural way to track down people and get great details for stories, it almost seemed irresponsible of me, as a reporter, to not be able to log on quickly and start searching. All my co-workers have been encouraged to get on Facebook.

But I’m not going to blame this all on my profession.

Honest time, the other reason I broke down is because – despite all my resistance – I’ve seen some Facebook success stories.

Like my friend McConnell, who recently joined Facebook after similar resistance and found long lost friends from a college semester she spent in Ireland. McConnell said she’d been trying to find these friends for years, and even with Google and all the other Internet options, she never had any success.

After getting on Facebook, she found them, literally, in minutes.

I have some of those people I’d like to find. Like Anne Cligny, the girl whose family hosted me in Troyes, France for 18 days when I was in high school. We became fast friends during that stay, and swore we’d keep in touch when I returned to suburban Chicago.

Alas, we didn’t. I’m sure that was because of me.

I also now acknowledge that Facebook allows for more fun, quick contact than e-mail. There’s something much more playful about posting something on somebody’s wall and waiting to see how they respond.

So now my plan is to be on Facebook but not become an addict. I’m not going to be the girl who updates every two hours to say where I’m going, or what I ate for lunch, or what I rented at Blockbuster. I posted a random picture my sis happened to have on her camera.

Don't be mad if I forget about my profile/don't update for weeks.

In the meantime, I'll slowly feel my way through understanding all the Facebook options.

Like sending gifts (?!?)

And POKING (?!?)

Maybe one of my "Friends" will explain these to me.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I can justify the following request in my head because I grew up in Milwaukee and on the Journal Sentinel, read your column/blog there often, and have followed you to blogspot.

Can blog fans (such as myself) be your friend on facebook?

Unknown said...

Facebook is an amazing resource for networking and meeting like minded individuals. I don't know how I survived without it for so long!!

Unknown said...

Facebook is like kindergarden.."poke me" "tickle me" "feed my pet" I have one but check it about once a month. I find myspace to be more satisfying. Facebook and Myspace are both good search engines for finding long lost friends, lovers or that creepy neighbor you grew up next door to. Let us know what you think Vikki...

wfbdoglover said...

I've been on myspace for about a year and recently joined facebook. I prefer myspace over facebook - but maybe it is a comfort level. I am 41 this year.

I am glad, however, to find you here on blogspot. I really enjoyed your blog, then articles here in Milwaukee.

Unknown said...

wfbdoglover - yer crazy. way easier to meet hotter chicks on facebook. plus, at 41, you should probably stay off of teen websites. that's kinda pathetic...

Unknown said...

Paco...you must be twelve years old. They are not "chicks." That is what comes out of a chicken's butt. Why are you attacking doglover? do you have nothing better to do?